If you are predisposed to developing varicose and spider veins, you won’t get away from them forever. Your genetics and sex already are predicting factors of your chances of developing this problem, and that cannot be changed. Females with spider veins outnumber their male counterparts by 3:1. Supplements and creams cannot remove or reduce your spider veins, but they can relieve the symptoms. Heavy legs, itching and discomfort can be improved with supplements such as vinpocetin.
If you want to be pro-active, try the following:
• Regular exercise (you knew that one would be in there)
• Good posture – avoid high heels and crossing your legs as this will increase the pressure in your leg veins
• Keep your weight down – try to stay at a BMI of 25 or less
• Avoid tight, constricting clothing that can increase the pressure in your legs
• Avoid standing for long periods of time
• Wear graduated compression stockings if you fly, or your occupation demands standing for long periods, such as shop assistants and nursing. Also wear the compression stockings in pregnancy.
• Avoid corticosteroid creams and ointments – these promote broken veins
• For women – speak to your doctor about contraceptives with low or no estrogen, such as the Mirena.
Find out more about our treatments
Tel: 011 234 2009 or 011 039 2982
Conatct us form